Released exclusively on the long since discontinued and deleted formats of VHS and LaserDisc, the following has NEVER been released on DVD until NOW!
This REMASTERED DVD is sourced directly from the original high quality LaserDisc to DVD for the first time ever! Quality is unmatched as it transferred from the long since deleted LaserDisc from OVER THIRTY THREE years ago.
Background: This concert was first released on VHS in UK, US, Brazil, Germany, Netherlands, France, Spain and Argentina. Even a “CDV” Version of this concert exists in the UK. The ONLY LaserDiscs of this classic concert were exclusively released in Japan (in 1988 and again in 1990) and in the USA and UK in 1987. The NTSC LaserDisc release from the USA in 1987 is where this REMASTERED DVD comes from. Even now the LaserDisc of this concert is only available USED and it’s offered for sale for as much as $70.00 on websites as verified at the time of this description.
Description: This classic concert and creative pinnacle for the band was shot on 35 mm film. Located in a Roman Amphitheater styled venue built early in the 1st century AD this concert was shot over two nights. The massive pocked walls rising behind the band exert a strong, mysterious presence that plays effectively against the Cure’s music, and some long, smoke-hazed shots of the audience suggest a revolutionary army waiting for battle. Director Tim Pope shoots the show straightforwardly, benefiting early from the rich light of an overcast late afternoon. The imagery combined with the sounds of the Cure’s music live in the middle of a sunset in the south of France is a beautiful fusion of both visual and sound; making it probably one of the most classic concerts ever documented by the Cure. A true iconic moment for the band and a must-have for any true Cure devotee. Still to this day, this vintage concert has NEVER been officially released on DVD until NOW! So here it is for the first time ever on DVD for every devotee and collector of The Cure.
Another original offer from your team at MVR!
Filmed live at the Theatre Antique d’Orange, Orange, Provence, Cote d’Azur, France on the 9th and 10th of August 1986.
DVD Menu divides content as “Side 1” and “Side 2” to mimic the content style of the original LaserDisc Release
2. Shake Dog Shake Written-By Smith
3. Piggy In The Mirror Written-By Tolhurst, Smith
4. Play For Today Written-By Tolhurst, Hartley*, Smith, Gallup
5. A Strange Day Written-By Tolhurst, Smith*, Gallup
6. Primary Written-By Tolhurst, Smith*, Gallup
7. Kyoto Song Written-By Smith
8. Charlotte Sometimes Written-By Tolhurst, Smith, Gallup
9. In Between Days Written-By Smith
10. The Walk Written-By Tolhurst, Smith
11. A Night Like This Written-By Smith
12. Push Written-By Smith
13. One Hundred Years Written-By Tolhurst, Smith, Gallup
14. A Forest Written-By Tolhurst, Hartley, Smith, Gallup
15. Sinking Written-By Smith
16. Close To Me Written-By Smith
17. Let’s Go To Bed Written-By Tolhurst, Smith
18. Six Different Ways Written-By Smith*
19. Three Imaginary Boys Written-By Tolhurst, Dempsey, Smith
20. Boys Don’t Cry Written-By Tolhurst, Dempsey, Smith
21. Faith Written-By Tolhurst, Smith, Gallup
22. Give Me It Written-By Smith
23. 10:15 Saturday Night Written-By Tolhurst, Dempsey, Smith
24. Killing An Arab Written-By Tolhurst, Dempsey, Smith
25. Sweet Talking Guy Performer The Chiffons Written-By Morris, Greenberg
“Sweet Talking Guy” on cover, but not included on Disc. The intro of A Forest (Side 2) at the end of Side 1.
Total Running Time: 1 Hour 53 Minutes
Bass – Simon Gallup
Drums – Boris Williams
Keyboards, Guitar – Porl Thompson
Keyboards, Percussion – Laurence Tolhurst
Vocals, Guitar – Robert Smith
Film Director – Tim Pope
Director Of Photography – Chris Ashbrook
Video Editor – Peter Goddard
Recorded By – David Allen
Remix – Steve Spencer
Executive-Producer – Chris Parry
Film Producer – Gordon Lewis